Friday 21 May 2010

Grand People

Underspray website-featured interview with Christain Bergheim, designer for Grandpeople.

How did you get into art?

I can not remember ever making a conscious choice about picking up art or about going to art school. I was constantly drawing and making stuff as a kid, and somehow I just continued.

How do you get inspiration for the pieces you produce?

It´s a bit of a mystery to me how this works, but generally I´m inspired by nature, art, good craftsmanship and popular culture. An Idea for a specific project however, can in my experience be sparked by just about anything.

What has been your best creation to date?

I dont´t know, It´s difficult to assess one´s own work. It always feels like the last one is the best, though it never feels quite good enough. One of the most recent and enjoyable projects is the Vagant covers and illustrations. This was pretty much a carte blanche job, and people seem to like the result.

How much do you think hype affects the public perception of what good art is?

Hmm, I´m not sure. It probably has a huge effect in terms of stirring up attention, reaching large audiences etc, but it seems to me that there are no single public perception of what good art is, but rather a whole lot of different trends, movements and art scenes flourishing side by side. There can´t be any objective rules about what makes good art, so any hype is at best a suggestion or an indication of what some people think is good, and I hope most people see it this way.

Last CD you bought/downloaded/shoplifted?

Justice, Cross.

How did you feel when you realised that art could make you some money?

Privileged and relieved.

Why do so many people spend money on music yet so few buy art?

I sometimes feel that the art world is a bit introverted - that it´s some kind of club with a complicated set of rules you have to know in order to understand what´s going on. Being a serious art buyer is time consuming and expensive. Music is immediate, affordable and social. Besides, music is of course also art.

Where would you be without art?

In a hydrodynamics lab perhaps?

What makes you happy?

My girlfriend, chopping wood, good food.

What makes you sad?

The state of the world.

What's it like to be interviewed?

It´s interesting. A nice chance to think through your position on things. Soup, for example.

Sex, drugs or rock n roll?

Guess I´ll have to go with sex.

Last time you cried?

I wanted to when I saw a this documentary about a flock of elephants. The baby elephant lost track of everyone, roamed the desert alone, and died.

What's your favourite soup?

Soups that are opaque. Transparent food doesen´t seem right.

Tell us a secret?

I am superfast.

Quote us your favourite song lyric?

"I slept all day
awoke with distaste
and I railed,
and I raved
That the difference between
the sprout and the bean
is a golden ring,
it is a twisted string."
Joanna Newsom, The sprout and the bean.

Is there a downside to being so talented?

There is one downside that probably has more to do with being human, and that is the constant question of how to put yourself and your abilities to best use. I always feel like there is a million different things I should be doing, projects I should be pursuing etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment